April 09, 2011

The Plan

Tim is a Canadian citizen, so could move back to Vancouver any time he wants! I’ll need to be sponsored as his common-law partner – part of CIC’s Family Class. We’re applying “outland”, as we both live in the UK, which seems to be taking 4-5 months at the moment.

If our application is accepted, I’ll need to have a wee holiday to Canada to “land” and activate my Permanent Resident status, then I can return to the UK and, as long as I’m living with Tim, I’m deemed to be resident in Canada and we can take our time planning to actually move.

The landing trip has to be within a year of your medical, so our countdown starts next week!

I’m getting a bit ahead of myself though – in order to sponsor me, we both need to fill in a few(!) forms. They’re listed on the CIC website, along with a guide for both the Sponsor and the Principal Applicant and one for those applying from Western Europe, including the UK.

The Principal Applicant checklist is:

  1. Application for Permanent Residence (form IMM 0008 GEN)
  2. Schedule 1 (IMM 0008 1E)
  3. Additional Family Information (IMM 5406E)
  4. Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM 5490E)
  5. Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) – Not applicable for us, as we’re not using an immigration lawyer.
  6. Copy of birth certificate – Photocopied and filed in my ‘Canada’ folder already :)
  7. Children's information – Not applicable for us, as we don’t have kids.
  8. Copy of passport – See below.
  9. Proof of common-law relationship – Pile of documents, photos etc (think Green Card, but not faked!).
  10. Police certificate
  11. Proof of medical examination
  12. 8 photos
  13. Other documentation – Don’t think we’ll need to send anything else.

As we started to look what we’d need to do, we realised that both of our UK passports were close to their expiry dates, so sent them off for renewal. This is good in the long run, as it means any visas etc will be attached to a passport with a long time left to run, but I’ve got to wait for it to be returned before I can send off my police certificate request. And my first set of photos were rejected, so add some more time on now!

Tim has his own checklist to complete and, obviously, there are fees to be paid as well, but this is what we’re dealing with at the moment!

Checklist - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

No comments:

Post a Comment