April 12, 2011

Medical Examination

You need to include proof of a medical examination with your CIC forms and it has to be performed by an approved doctor. Luckily, there was one near me and I got an appointment within a fortnight. However, be aware that this step my require more planning if you’ve got to travel – in Scotland, there are only 4 doctors listed!

There is a form to fill out in the Western Europe Guide and you need to bring photo ID (original and a photocopy), plus 5 passport photos – I think I might be sick of forms and passport photos by the end of this!

You’ll also need to organise a chest x-ray as part of your medical. The medical group gave me the phone number of the radiology department at a local hospital when I booked my appointment and they booked me in for the day after my medical. You need to take a form from the medical with you, along with photo ID and ANOTHER passport photo!

The confirmation letter from the GP worried me a bit:

  1. they’ve booked me for a different doctor than the “Designated Medical Practitioner” listed on the CIC website,
  2. it specifically says you need your passport (not just photo ID), and 
  3. it says it may be helpful to bring medical records with you.

However, I phoned up a very helpful receptionist who confirmed with the doctor:

  1. the original doctor has left and this is the new CIC-approved one,
  2. taking my actual driving licence and a photocopy of my old passport (that I luckily had!) will be enough, and
  3. yes, it may be helpful, but just try your best to get them and don’t worry if you can’t (“ooh, no-one’s ever asked that before” – that’s interesting, it’s on your letter!)

I phoned my own GP and was told that they don’t give out medical records unless you go through their Practice Manager. As my appointment is on Thursday and they didn’t seem that bothered, I think I’ll just leave it.

Checklist - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

No comments:

Post a Comment