December 18, 2013

Finally! Appointment to pick up PR card

Well, after my ranty post the other day, I got home yesterday to a letter from CIC with my rescheduled appointment to get my PR card. And even better, the appointment is actually when I’m off work for the festive season, so I won’t even have to take time off.

It was a pretty scary looking letter though – printed on red paper and basically looking like the bailiffs were after me.

For the first time, it doesn’t have my client number written on it. I’m definitely going to ask about that when I go in – do I have my own number or am I correct in using the number I’ve always used, which is on all of their correspondence to me, but the call centre has said is actually Tim’s?

And it was sent to our house, so I think that might be everything away from Tim’s sister’s address now.

Once I've got the PR card, I'll be able to get my BC Services Card (without being cheeky and using my driver's license as ID), then the next thing is to get a card with my married name on it.

Full text of the letter:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

CIC Vancouver PR Card Centre
Permanent Resident Unit
#200 - 877 Expo Blvd
Vancouver, BC V68 8PS

[Date]

[Name]
[Our address]

Dear Sir/Madam:

RE: FINAL APPOINTMENT NOTICE

You are scheduled for an appointment to pick up your permanent resident card (card #[number]). Please attend at #200 - 877 EXPO BOULEVARD, Vancouver, BC on [date] at [time].

You have failed to attend your previous appointment. As such, it is imperative that you make every effort to attend this appointment. By law, permanent resident cards not claimed within 180 days of the first appointment letter must be destroyed by Citizenship & Immigration Canada. If you do not pick up your permanent resident card by this date, you must make a new application and pay another fee.

[Technically, this means they're breaking the law themselves, as it's been over 180 days since my first appointment letter back in May :)]

IMPORTANT: You must bring this letter along with the following documents to your appointment:
  1. All passports and travel documents (current and expired) in your possession
  2. Your original or certified record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence (IMM 1000 or IMM 5292) or other Canadian residency/landing documents
  3. Valid photo identification issued by a provincial or federal agency; (e.g.; driving license)
  4. All original documents that were submitted with your application
  5. If you did not return your old PR card with your application, you must return it when you attend at our office to pick up your new card. The new PR card will not be issued to you until the previous card is returned or otherwise accounted for.
You must bring an English and/or French interpreter if you require one. All persons regardless of age MUST appear in person. Minors under age 14 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

PLEASE NOTE: All permanent residents are subject to examination for residency obligation at time of card distribution. An officer will review your documents and may request additional information to determine your eligibility for a PR card.

If you have any questions, contact the Call Centre of Citizenship & Immigration Canada at 1-888-242-2100.

Regards,
Citizenship & Immigration Canada

Second page:

PLEASE READ: IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The Permanent Resident Card Centre is at 877 Expo Boulevard, Vancouver, BC

- It is strongly recommended that only persons with appointments attend the office as space is limited.
- Should you require a translator please bring one with you.
- Please turn off cellular phones upon entering the office.
- Please do not bring food or drinks into the office.

[Map]

For BUS or SKYTRAIN information please contact: Translink @ 604-953-3333 or www.translink.bc.ca

- Parking: As parking is limited in the area, if you must drive allow yourself extra time so you are not late for your appointment. The nearest paid public parking is at 858 Beatty Street. The parking entrance is located next to Starbucks and there are signs directing you to 877 Expo Boulevard once you are inside the garage. You can also find paid parking on Expo Blvd which is a one way street running from North to South.

2 comments:

  1. I am still waiting for the second notice to pick up my PR card. I am wondering how long it took you to get the second notice. I called the call center dozens of times, but always told just wait for the second notice :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my first appointment letter in May (http://tartanandplaid.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-future.html) and my second letter in December (so seven months later). Like I said in my blog post, that's over 180 days, so technically they should have destroyed my card by that point!

      I'm still waiting for my second letter for my new PR card (with my married name). I was travelling with work for the first appointment in February (and they sent the letter to the wrong person initially!), then I chased them in June and, like you, they said I just needed to wait for the second appointment letter.

      Delete